Thursday, August 25, 2005

My 6 year old daughter

Hello I’ve just had another three days holiday, now don’t get jealous, I know I’ve just had a month off, but these last three days have been about ‘parental responsibility’. I’ve been looking after my 6 year old daughter while her mum has been gallivanting off somewhere.

To look after ones 6 year old daughter for a while, when you usually see her over a weekend every other week, is bliss. There is nothing better or sweeter on earth than a 6 year old daughter, how could one get tired of the constant chatter, the wriggling about trying to get comfortable on your lap whilst you watch 3 hours of constant repetition on children’s TV, the sudden need to go to the loo when you are out, the pleading Daaaadddy! And so on and so on.

Oh I know that the single mums out there who look after our 6 year old daughters will say, ‘Well to you it might be bliss, but when you have to cope with it 24/7 then it would be a different story!’ It probably is, but I have often offered to have my daughter full time, an offer which is never taken up, so it can’t be that bad can it?

‘Parental responsibility’ is a funny thing, I don’t have it apparently, in the legal sense, because we were not married, so my daughters mum has total control over how she brings up the child, she does not have to consult with me over any issue, which could include changing their religion to become Jehovah’s Witnesses and then refusing life saving medical intervention because of their new religion. I would just have to stand by and could not do anything.

And yet, it seems I am responsible enough a parent to financially contribute to the upbringing of my child and the Government involves itself, through the Child Support Agency to make sure that I am financially supporting my child. The situation as it stands is that because my former partner has two children, one by another man, she actually has a larger disposable income than I have. The fact that she also works part-time does not seem to impact upon the amount of money I have to give her.

I am in no way suggesting that I should not financially support my child, all I am arguing is that if I am responsible enough to support her financially, why then am I not allowed to have some legal responsibility for my child? I know I could go to court and get an order making me a ‘responsible parent, but at what cost to my current relationship with the mother, which is often rocky due to her ongoing mental illness.

Anyway despite that we had a great time, seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which was good, going to the beach, riding on donkey’s and all the fun things one does with one’s 6 year old daughter, including all the things her mother doesn’t let her do, like eat too many sweets, ice cream, crisps and junk food!

Aren’t I a great dad?!

No comments: