Thursday, January 06, 2005

Office Moving Day

Today I will be moving my office for the fifth time in four years. I will be moving back across the road into an office two doors away from the office I was in two years ago. Fun eh!

Admittedly this move can be seen in many positive ways. For instance: The removals guys, they never have to do any domestic removals, which is their main trade if the sides of their vans are anything to go by, because the University has probably got them block booked until 2020 and beyond. Everywhere you look on this campus offices are moving, the whole place is always in ferment. We are like hordes of nomads constantly changing places in a feeble attempt to make our work lives better.

The second benefit could be that I am moving out of my cupboard. Yes it really was the photocopying cupboard; it measures about 3 metres by 2 metres. My desk just fits across the width of the roomette. At least I have a window. The new room I will be moving into is a proper sized room, but the downside is I have to share. This means I have to suss my new roommate out very carefully. (I don’t really but I am going for the intrigue factor here) I mean will he be a clock watcher? One of those people who clock your every coming and going. Noting down every lost minute of employment as you saunter in at 9:30 once again. Mentioning casually ‘Oh off to lunch then?’ as you slip out at 11:30, or ‘Short Day?’ as you switch off the laptop at 4 o’clock. It might mean I have to live with my guilt rather than totally ignore it.

How am I going to blog – another problem? I guess I will just have to blag it and hope this guy thinks my work rate is phenomenal and the numbers of reports that I write is noteworthy, that is as long as those notes don’t get back to my boss. See paranoia is setting in already and I haven’t even moved yet.

So I’ve spent the day, after recovering from the bike ride, packing my office. Not much just about four boxes of books and various bits of ephemera. About 6 bags of rubbish though. I have managed to dump loads of stuff I have never even looked at which seems to be a bonus and of course if anybody ever asks for it, which they will, guaranteed, about one week after the move, I can shrug my shoulders and mutter, ‘well it seems to have got lost in the move – pity’.

Another bonus is that the windows of the office I am moving to seem to be opposite some private student accommodation and as we are three stories up we are pretty much on the same level as the bedrooms, so I’m off down to Argos to buy a telescope! You never know we might have struck underwear gold dust!

Who’d have my job hey? Its hell…




No comments: