Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Scent of a Woman

As its still February and the Month of Love I will remain true to the theme and ponder for a while Fragrant Women.

Isn’t it the greatest joy to be wandering down the street, mind cast adrift, perhaps worrying about the job, when to pay the bills, cursing that extra inch or two around your waist, when from out of nowhere comes the fragrant aroma of a woman passing by? Maybe it’s a perfume that’s instantly recognisable like Body Shops White Musk, or some other exotic and expensive perfume, but that one whiff can instantly change the colour of your day and for the better! The whole reason for this blog is that this morning I was walking behind a woman in the slipstream of her scent and I must admit it was wonderful, I would have followed her to the ends of the earth, but we got to my office building first!

This event however, seems to be happening less and less. That momentary sensual sensory experience is a rare happening. I don’t think that my nose is wearing out and I am losing my sense of smell, rather, I think that along with the make up, scent for women has been assigned to the feminist dustbin. This is a huge mistake on behalf of women.

As I understand human behaviour, one of the things that does attract us to each other is a heady cocktail of scents emanating from our bodies. I know the initial reaction is to go eeuu! But it’s a fact of life, however far we want to remove ourselves from being animalistic the fact of the matter is that we are right there with the warthog, the groundhog and the hedgehog. Like them nothing can turn us on faster than the exotic whiff of a female ready for a little action in the next burrow. It’s the pheromones that we all emit, hogs, dogs and humans that make us attractive to the opposite sex.

As we are a little more advanced than the friendly little hedgehog with the snuffly nose we have designed better and more advanced scents than a quick spray of the secretions from the scent glands (i.e. arses) of civets and musk deer (still used in the perfume industry today – yes go on eeww!). There are a whole range of wonderful perfumes, scents and sprays available down at the local store, so why are women not wearing them?

Of course there are some women that wear perfume that replicates a gas attack on the Western Front, it leaves us choking and gasping for breath, it wraps it self around the female like an invisible cloak of death aspyixiating all who get within 6 feet. (For me personally Christian Dior’s Poison is like this, I think I am allergic to it as it makes me feel ill – it really is Poison).

And some women (why am I thinking French here?) seem to think that stale sweat is the odour d’amour, perhaps it’s something to do with all those unshaven armpits. Look we all know that sweat is meant to be sexy, all those pherenemones again, but a quick swipe with a scented roll on wouldn’t do much harm would it or a deodarant spray, some of these smell quite nice, but they don’t have the longevity or the length, if you know what I mean. For us men to get that allusive fragrance that makes us stop and sniff it needs to be able to travel, to drift, to float gently into our nostrils and the cheaper stuff just doesn’t. Maybe the cheapstuff is OK in London when one is stuffed up against someones armpit in the tube, but the good stuff is essential for the full olofactory experience and the long distance ahhh effect.

Of course English women are meant to be the most fragrant on the whole planet (yes I am being hypocritical here having married a Ukrainian Woman) but I am afraid that they may be losing their crown. And by not having a scented signature they may also be losing their history. What do I mean by this? I mean that smell and memory seem to be very closely connected, how often can a single tingle in the nose of some faint delicate aroma remind us of places and people past. I can remember the scents of my past girlfriends and wives when I smell them. The scents they used, their favourite scent, their signature is engraved somewhere in the recesses of my mind and one small whiff can bring them instantly to mind, filling ones consciousness with happy memories (because however these relationships finished we were happy together and in love – once upon a time)

So thank you to the unknown woman this morning, who unknowingly, through the simple act of spraying on a perfume this morning, has made this man happy. And perhaps some of the women out there will perhaps rethink their non use of perfume and make the world once more a fragrant world coloured with the scent of a woman.







4 comments:

Mike Da Hat said...

Amen!

a beer sort of girl said...

It's the MAN, keeping us down. At least in the US. I can't speak for other countries. Corporate culture frowns upon personal scents. Too concerned about who it might bother. (Similar to your Poison reaction, you'd hate to make someone you work with sick.)

I do love perfume, though, and wear it on weekends a lot.

SJ said...

I once worked with someone who was allergic to one of the chemicals in artifical scents, so none of us were allowed to wear aftershave, perfume, deoderant, anything like that. As you can imagine the place got a little... iffy...

Cindy-Lou said...

One guy in my life smells so good I want to bite him. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to.