Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Bolloxulitte

Recently, and especially since I have remarried, as I have been flipping through the various women’s magazines looking for the underwear adverts I have noticed with increasing regularity more and more adverts for creams and potions that claim to make wrinkles go away, I think I have even recently seen a set of products aimed at us men.

More worrying than the fact that this increasing number of adverts are reducing the space available for knickers and bra ads is that they all claim that their product has some new and wonderful product in it that will work better and more safely than the infamous Botox jabs. The fact that these wiz kids of marketing have had to come up with names that replicate or echo Botox makes me wonder just how gullible these marketers think women are? (Very, probably).

So we get products that contain Botolox, Botomax, Botocreme (these are real check them on Google). OK we can understand those, they are trying to tell you women that these will (probably) replicate (some of) the effects of injecting yourself with a deadly poison and won’t cost you an arm and a leg like botox does, just an arm.

Then things and names and contents start to get even more bizarre. A product that contains C-ESTA! Come on guys are we that stupid, the word looks like and sounds like Siesta but it isn’t is it? But what does it mean, does it send subliminal messages about relaxing, being young under the sun, not a wrinkle or sign of skin cancer anywhere! Or am I just too cynical?

And what’s Morpholift? When it’s at home? Here darling let me smear another £30 dollop of Morpholift over your ravaged face and soon you will look like a 30 year old again! Have you seen that woman on the TV who tells us that she not only feels like she’s back in her 40’s but looks it? No she doesn’t.
There’s another cream that’s ‘enritched with Dermo-Lastyl – what’s that? Do a Google search – there are NO findings! Or even ‘Lifactiv with fibrocyclamide’ which gets only 36 hits on Google and nothing in English that tells you actually what it is.

Searching any of these names and claims on Google will leave you just as uniformed about these products as this blog will. Because it’s all bollocks and no I don’t mean that’s the active ingredient of the actual cream but the active ingredient that the marketeers use to push these over priced tubs of lard that they claim will make us all more beautiful and wrinkle free. I believe I have read somewhere that Vaseline is just as good as it rehydrates the skin and that is simply what these overpriced treatments do. Plus I have also heard that the best thing for wrinkles around the eyes is Anusol or similar ‘pile’ treatments.

I mean, come on girls, tell us, do you really get taken for the ride. Do you, when out shopping, see that little tub, with the even littler tub inside, go, ‘I have to have this as its called ‘Sculpt 10’ and yes I am sort of aware inside my head that subliminally Sculpt is related to sculpture but look its enriched with DermoLastyl so it must be good and its by Lancome or some other French expensive and pretentious Laboratoire and I need it to look 10 years younger’.

Look go here and get yourself some emu oil – just don’t ask me how they extract it!

Emu Oil? – yuck that’s what I thought.

No comments: