Friday, March 18, 2005

Born Again Bikers


There is a relatively new phenomenon in the UK that you might have come across in your travels, it’s the born again biker. Yes you’ve seen them zipping in and out of the traffic as you fume away in the tailbacks, these middle aged men on their over powered machines, you’re slightly envious of them aren’t you? And perhaps, like me, remembering the good old days when you had a Triumph, BSA or Lambretta and you start feeling a slight itch between the legs that has nothing to do with catching an STD!

I see them quite regularly here in Plymouth where they seem to congregate at Captain Jaspers which is a renowned tea/burger bar on the Barbican on a Sunday – the only day the get the bike out, and only if its sunny. They are quite easy to recognise, they stand there with their mugs of tea admiring each others Bikes. These are extremely low mileage, late sports models, high power machines like the Suzuki Suicide, or the Honda Hell or even a Kawasaki Killer. They all wear expensive leathers and helmets in the same garish colours as their machines. The most glaring commonality of this group is not their grey hair, but their shortened life expectancy as they are determined to ride everywhere as fast as possible in a vain attempt to prove how young and virile they are – even if its only to the next tea bar which is half a mile around Plymouth Hoe!

At this other biker stop the Harley Riders congregate sipping lattes and cappuccinos as it’s more of a coffee bar than a tea bar. Their leathers a testimonial to the motor cycle itself or to the Confederacy and its racist symbols (see much earlier blog). Sonny Barger, the famous Hells Angel would be rolling in his grave if he wasn’t so busy promoting his web site and selling branded products to forget that old Hells Angel adage ‘Live Fast Die Young’! (I’m not even going to mention the Honda Goldwing here as it’s more of an armchair and entertainment consol on wheels than a motorbike!)

These guys seem to forget that in the intervening years that technology has vastly increased the power of these machines. So they jump out of their Ford motor car onto their superbike and drive it at 165mph into a wall! Nice Hobby!

I would love a bike, but I know I would kill myself. I fell off my Triumph enough times when I was younger to know better and I know it would hurt even more now and as I get closer to it naturally, death is not an option at the moment. So I am happy to watch these geezers in their leathers and their beer bellies sipping tea and pretending to be Barry Sheen. And I smile as I see them roar along the sea front to the next tea stop. Perhaps this is just the modern day equivalent to the old Charabanc trip to the sea side. All these oldies out for a day trip and a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake before a bit of a mystery tour then home for tea!

12 comments:

SJ said...

It just doesn't seem right, though. Old people on motorbikes. Tottering along at 6 mph, a queue of milk floats waiting to get past...

Cattiva said...

This is funny! We don't have this phenomenon here...yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, though.

gemmak said...

Oi! I wore the leathers, rode 'overpowered' machines and did the 'biker thing' for over 25 years, I loved it, it was a big part of my life.....it didn't appear to shorten it tho!

....and Joe/Ian, I might be 'old' but excuse me, 160 maybe, not 6mph, eat my dust boys! and what's wrong with 'old' on a bike? Age doesn't preclude one from remaining a 'petrol head'....C'mon fellas ain't this some sort of discrimination?

Mick said...

Being a full time biker I feel qualified to comment on this.
Born agains and teenage-scooter-twats are largely responsible for the perceived increase in biker deaths. It used to be that men of a certain age would, in a misguided attempt at regaining lost youth, go out and buy a Hardly Davison, now they seem to have clued up to the fact that HD's are a bit shite and have started buying high powered sports bikes instead.
Incidentally, Sunday is the only day I don't ride my bike.

Rob Burton said...

Ahem...I seem to have struck a bit of a raw nerve here...hope the teenager scooter twats wasn't directed at me, although I do admit to riding lambrettas in my yoof until I moved on to my Triumph Trophy - a proper amns bike! None of that Jap plastic for me!

Nevertheless I still think I'd kill myself if I had a bike now!

Cattiva said...

Gemmak - Puuuleeze! You are SO NOT old!

Mick said...

no it wasn't directed at you (I wasn't aware you were a teenager).
You're right about the jap plastic as even the metal on mine seems to be made of plastic.

Rob Burton said...

wern't we all teenagers once?

gemmak said...

Mick: I'm with you on this, we 'lifetime' bikers get tarred with the same brush as the born again crew! Grrrr.

Cattiva: Thank you flower, I luv ya! :o)

Rob: Raw nerve? Where? *ouch* :o)

Anonymous said...

BABs I fall into that breed, there is a 'but' I rude a trike, huge bloody thing with a Granada V6 2.8 engine, its got 5 wheels ! 4 at the back in tandem. Been riding it for 10 years 'ain't fell off yet ! I am 73 and still standing

Freewheeling Grandad said...

It always annoys me when people have a go at Born Again Biklers. We're not born again, just coming back after a rest. I had my first bike when I was 16 years of age but when the family came along practicality speaks and you have to get a car. 10 years ago I bought a cruiser and now ride a Honda VTX 1800 with the wife as pillion. Yes there are a few "mature" bikers who act the fool and ride faster than their skills allow but that's the same all over. You have a look at some of the "more mature" drivers who can afford fast cars but can't drive them. Don't here nothing about them do you. The only accident I have ever had on my bike was when I was knocked off by a pratt of a kid in a souped up hatchback.Most of us are sensible people who ride for enjoyment, so, to all those who critizise us, BACK OFF.

Anonymous said...

I`m 50 , just did my DAS and bought a susi Bandit 650. Does this qualify me to be an born again tea slurper?. Btw I was a scooter twat some 30 years ago .Seem to recall falling off of it a few times , those things tend to slip if pushed into a good corner at 40 mph on a wet road .I sense a lotener of jealousy here , leave the old dudes alone .Wer`e all dead a f .. of a long time.