Friday, July 08, 2005

The Complaints start here!

Hello, It’s me, I’m back ejected from the Big Blogger house like a ping pong ball in a Thai night club!

What fun that was, I enjoyed my self and at the same time seemed to alienate about a third of the readers, well the voters anyway! But hey, you guys, you who have found your way here from the House, who enjoy a good wibble, now know where it is. Welcome to Dr. Robs Day – the home of the wibble. I’ll have to try and keep the standard up!

During my time in the house, my alter ego, the real Dr. Rob, had to continue his normal job of careering around the countryside, visiting schools, doing research on behalf of the large educational institution that he works for. Sorry drifted into the third person again there – back to first person please Dr Rob!

And of course I have to eat out. And I want to moan on for a minute about bad service in restaurants. Is it only me as I seem to be jinxed. Whenever I go into the restaurant, there always seems to be a problem in the kitchen, they have employed waiters with amnesia, I become strangely invisible as I enter the doorway so they ignore me and serve the 20 people who come in behind me.

A number of examples, and I do have hundreds.

On Sunday I was in Wales, I had to drive up in the afternoon as I had a 9 am appointment the next day. I got there about 7:30 ish and decided that instead of sitting in my hotel room I would go to see ‘War of the Worlds’. Fortunately next to the Cinema was a Pizza Hut. Great I could buy my ticket for the 8:30 show and get a bite to eat!

So ticket purchased, into Pizza Hut. Made my order, Pizza and side salad, nothing too complicated. First I had to pint out there was no soap in the Gents toilets, then had to point out that the bowl I had been given for my salad was dirty. Got my salad, sat and eat it. Then I waited, the film remember started at 8:30. At 8:31 I asked where my Pizza was. ‘O’ said the girl, there’s a problem in the kitchen, ‘THEY RAN OUT OF PIZZA’S!’ ‘ Great’ I said, why didn’t you tell me? My film started a minute ago ( it didn’t really , well the adverts did). So no food that evening and I didn’t pay for the salad and coke!

Then a while ago we visited the Barbican, in Plymouth to sit in the sun. We decided to have some food, sitting outside a restaurant that had been recommended to us. We ordered coffee and some starters as all we wanted was a light snack. My started was hummus and toast (basically) my daughter wanted chips (well she is 6) and my wife was having a prawn cocktail. Nothing too difficult there then. We sat, drank the coffee, ate the bread that came, my wife took Matilda for a walk because she was getting bored and after half an hour I had to beckon the waiter over and say what’s the problem? He went away, came back and said ‘O’ there’s a problem in the kitchen! (i..e. they forgot us!). ‘It would be here in a few minutes’, I told him ‘I assumed that they would not be charging us for the food’. He offered us the drinks for free. 10 minutes later the food still hadn’t arrived, so we got up and walked off.

My point is, we all work hard for our money and if these sladdash restaurants want our money then they had better work hard for it too. I don’t give me money away.

That’s why I enjoy Gordon Ramsey’s TV programmes where he shows Restaurant owners just how bad they really are.

Start complaining, you know it makes sense!

No comments: