Sunday, July 03, 2005

LIve8

I was wondering.

I spent most of my day watching the Live8 concert on a big screen in Plymouth City Centre.

Am I a wus? Because I spent most of the time with a huge lump in my throat and tears coursing down my face.

It’s a tremendous time for us all in the world and in particular those people in Africa at the moment and so much depends on it. How in a democracy can everything simple depend on 8 individual men – politicians at that!

Children are dying every three seconds, how can I not look at my 6 year old daughter and not feel torn. I would be totally distraught if she died and I couldn’t do anything about it. How often do we hear people in the West say ‘O I’d die for my kids’ but we sort of know that’s never going to be the case. IN Africa parents, men and women are losing their children even as I write - there goes another one…. It’s an unfortunate case here in the UK if a child is harmed or God forbid, killed. How many kids in the UK have died of starvation? Maybe a few through the neglect of their parents who are probably unsuitable anyway but never one every three seconds. My god there would be an almighty uproar if that was ever the case here in the UK.

Our kids here in the West are religiously protected, they have become SACRED objects. One can hardly look at them without incurring some sort of record as a bad parent or paedophile. God forbid that we should force them to do something that might in some way or other put the little darlings at risk, like go on a school trip or feed them greens!

I am not a great charity giver, I, like most people, need to protect my family first and foremost. But if Governments or more precisely these 8 unfortunate men can sort this out, if they need a shove, a push, a big poke in the eye to make them see then we need to be poking and shoving every minute of every day!

I hope that these Concerts have done this, I hope they have listened and seen the ground swell of opinion that has turned against them.

If they do not, then let’s follow Trotsky. His advice, still valid today, is One Solution – Revolution!

Not in the sense of over turning the democratic process but over turning the negative, protectionist thinking of these protectionist males. If they will not listen to today, then things MUST escalate until they listen and change the world.

Meanwhile I’ll continue crying for the adults and children dying right now in Africa which is a fucking fantastic place and I know because I have lived there!.

No comments: