Monday, October 18, 2004

The Big Issue

Can somebody please explain to me how it is that Big Issue salesmen/women in this fair city are better dressed than I am?

For my international readers let me explain that The Big Issue is a magazine that is sold on the street by homeless people. It is a charity that helps them get on their feet. Each BI is only £1 and I believe for each one sold the seller gets a cut. Thus enabling them to earn a little money onto of their state benefits I would guess.

In this fair city in Sunny Devon when I go into town during lunch time I notice that the BI sellers all are wearing designer kit. I mean I am in a job, got a career, professional qualifications and I can’t afford the stuff they have on.

I’m talking Berghaus jackets, I’d love one of them, me. Levi jeans, Animal trainers (or Nike or anything which costs about 100 quid!) (My trainers cost me £15 in a sale – what does that say about me). Track suit tops and hoodies with the big designer names splashed across the front. Probably Calvin Klein pants (knickers) too.

I don’t want to be patronising or anything but is there a special charity shop that I don’t know about that sells this stuff? I do haunt the charity shops for my ebay stuff but I have never ever ever seen a berghaus jacket in one. Maybe it’s because these guys are homeless, maybe they spend the night in the doorway of said designer charity shop to get the best bargains as the open first thing.

Anyway I am fed up of them. I’ve run out of excuses so I don’t have to buy one. I mean it’s a new concept in selling isn’t it. Retail with menace! Big Issue Guv? No thanks mate just bought one down the road. God Bless you Mate! No thanks. Robbie Williams article inside…Sorry No I er just got one. Wot this one mate? Yes I think so Go on mate It’s me last one. Er Ok here you are. Said seller then runs off to the nearest off license/pusher/glue seller/McD’s for their daily fix stopping only to score a brand new Helly Hansen jacket from the charity shop.

Actually I haven’t got that much of a downer against Issue salesmen/women, at least they are doing something what gets me more is the proliferation of beggars in this City/country. Do these people really expect me to give them something when they are sitting there cuddling the 2 litre bottle of White Lightning (strong cider). Or making their dog look pathetic by wrapping it in a blanket! Come on get a job! I did and look at me…

Sigh…..


Please send all donations to my Paypal account. email address available upon request


Go on mate it’s me last one….






No comments: