Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Road rage

I will be totally honest here and freely admit that I am not the best driver in the world. I take the odd shortcut; break a few rules and laws here and there. But what really gets my goat is those drivers who have never ever seem to have read the Highway Code. Especially the bit about right of way.

As I understand it as I drive along, the road ahead is my right of way. If someone has to pass a vehicle that is parked on the other side of the road and that involves them moving across the white line onto my carriageway then they must give way to me. Please inform me if I am wrong.

So here in Sunny Devon some of the roads are a little narrow, for our American readers you have to remember some of these ‘roads’ are simply medieval lanes with tarmac! So I get a bit peeved when, as I am tootling along trying not to think about the destination (work), some other idiot, probably doing the same and listening to Terry Wogan, comes screaming down from the opposite direction on my side of the road, barley misses me, coming so close that I have to check my wing mirror is still there, (two replacements so far! Electric mirrors, not cheap even on ebay!) and then flings me a look like I should have been somewhere else. (The look comes between the barely missing me and me checking the wing mirror when we are so close I can see the whites of his/her eye’s)

Or even worse the ‘tourists’ in their new cars who drive in the middle of the road/lane so that the sharp grass doesn’t touch their gleaming paintwork. They don’t worry that they have just forced me into the blackthorn hedge and now my car sports so many zebra stripes down the side I could sell it to a safari park! Why is it also that ‘tourists’ also seem to have forgotten how to use reverse gear? They sit there looking at you waiting for you to move, behind them is a passing place, they would have to reverse about 5 meters I know I will have to reverse about half a mile, around a corner and up a hill before pressing the car against a gate so they can pass – all without so much as a wave a smile or a thank you.
Here in Sunny Devon we’re a laid back lot, most of us, lots of green fields, tress, sheep, and I don’t want to put those of you who live around the world off visiting us, but if you do come. PLEASE READ THE BLOODY HIGHWAY CODE right thanks..........

Here it is rule 139: ‘give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road’ the internet is a wonderful thing!

8 comments:

kissme said...

Tell me about it. The number of times I've sat there seething thinking 'hang on mate its not MY side of the road that's blocked'


Also mini-roundabouts. There is one at the end of our (dead end) road so I have to drive round it every time I go anywhere. It never fails to amaze me the number of drivers who simply haven't a clue how to deal with one of these (same rules apply as for a large roundabout)

And, can cyclists go through red lights and ride the wrong way down a one-way street?

Huh, I wish I'd never dropped in to your blog today. I'm now sat at my desk fuming about bad drivers...... [so that'll be client 000, project 9010, task W then ;-)]

cat said...

Bloody freakin' hell... I wrote this lovely long comment this morning right before leaving for work and then you know what happened?? My feking isp hung up on me. GAH! It was in the middle of posting when it did that. And now I have no recollection of what I wrote. It had something to do with me learning to drive and driving on the wrong side of the road here in Canada. So I thought I would be a GREAT driver over there in the UK but your roads are about a big as a walking path and there is NO WAY I would fit on that road in our overly large automobile. I'll stick to driving on the wrong side of the road here where the roads are larger and people can swerve around me. Ha!

Also, what the heck is chutney?? It sounds like something one would use to bait for fish.

Thanks for the recepie and blog comment!

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Beyond, how did you learn to drive on the wrong side of the road!??! Rob, I just ranted about horrid US drivers last week...they are just as infuriating!! I soooo feel your pain!

Peeved Michelle said...

This is why my next car will have push bars on the front bumper.

How are mini-roundabouts supposed to work? They are quite uncommon in Los Angeles, but there is one on a shortcut route I take home from work and sometimes I fear for my life in there.

Mick Flynn Images said...

"If someone has to pass a vehicle that is parked on the other side of the road and that involves them moving across the white line onto my carriageway then they must give way to me. Please inform me if I am wrong."

Wrong: It may be a common sense rule but it is only advisory in the Highway Code, 'try testing it in Court.'
The Highway Code book is a guide only.

I thought you all drove Massey Ferguson convertibles in Devon.

cat said...

Mel - I'm only just learning to drive now. For some reason I feel a lot safter on the opposite side of the road. Go figure.

Well, except if there is oncoming traffic. That's not such a good thing in that case.

Rob Burton said...

OOO aaah 'I got a brand new Combine 'Arvester, I'll give you the key' I love a good bumpkin!

Suzy Snow said...

I'm so happy to hear that you have just as many idiot drivers there as we do here. We also are plagued by tourists. They drive slow, don't know where they are going and expect everyone to just anticipate their next move. Infuriating!