Monday, March 27, 2006

Holiday in St. Ives Cornwall



This last week I have been on Holiday. Together with the Ukrainian Wife we went for a few days to sunny St. Ives in Cornwall. We walked around a lot in the rain and went into a lot of galleries where struggling artists were trying to sell paintings similar to the picture above. I took that for free on my digital camera. If I had wanted the same picture but in acrylic on board or canvas, it could have cost me about £300! Posted by Picasa

They look something like this:

  Posted by Picasa

After walking around a bit more and having a coffee, we went to the Tate Gallery in St Ives. It wasn't very good. Although there were some nice pictures by Turner
Turner moonlight Posted by Picasa



who had toured around the West Country making sketches, as one does. We looked at the graffiti outside of the Tate and that was much more interesting that some of the artwork inside the Tate.




Posted by Picasa

The main display other than the Turner was by some women who painted things like this:


Blue Square Posted by Picasa



I'm sorry but I just don't get it.


We walked around some of the craft markets as well, but some of the things on offer there were, well, just a bit too dubious!

Posted by Picasa


On another day we went to the Seal Sanctuary in Gweek. And looked at the seals, it rained that day too!

Posted by Picasa


But all in all St Ives is a Beautiful Place

Posted by Picasa

I recommend it.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best description and illustrations of St.Ives I have ever seen. Pithy, accurate, funny and straight to the point. You should be writing travel books consisting of such gems for every city/country on the planet. Hey, when you've done it, can I have credit for the idea?
Your chapter for the BlogStory is great too, though I've become completely confused as to what's going on in that saga. Don't know how I'll manage to add my chapter.