Saturday, March 04, 2006

Hooray todays my birthday!

Today it is my Birthday
I’m feeling kinda tired
Yet only 20 years ago
I’d have been feeling kinda wired

Today it is my Birthday
Another year gone
I’m wondering about all those
Great things I shudda done

I shudda travelled round the world
And seen the Taj Mahal
Kissed all the lovely women
Not let my life just pall

I shudda climbed some mountains
And swim in the Japan Sea
Sing monkey songs with monkeys
Eat marmosets for tea

I shudda walked the China wall
And swum with dolphins free
I shudda leapt that canyon grand
On a fat boy Harley D

I shudda worshipped idols
On the road to Shangri La
Listened to the silent monks
Just one hand clapping – Nah!

I shudda spent some money
On diamond rings and pearls
I shudda spent some evenings
With durty durty girls

I shudda found some inner peace
I shudda found a route
I shudda got my arse in gear
For my tree of life to fruit

I shudda had the kumquats
The centre sweet and soft
Lived a magazine type lifestyle
In an airy New York Loft

Or I shudda been a poet
Eating canapés and brie
Like William Butler Bloody Yeats
On the isle of Innisfree

But today it is my birthday
And all that stuff is tosh
If I really take a look around
My life is just awash

My loving wife and family
My darling little girl
Make all these sad sad sad regrets
Unpick, deflate, unfurl

Who wants a New York Lifestyle?
And Marmosets for tea?
Who cares about the idols?
And the fat boy Harley D?

I’d rather have my family
Than all the china tea
Because after all that moaning
I’m pretty pleased with me

So hurrah today’s my birthday
Next one I’m fifty three
But maybe one day you’ll find me
On that Isle of Innisfree.

1 comment:

Cary Patrick Martin said...

Hope it was wonderful! =)