Monday, October 18, 2004

Hello my name is Doctor Rob and I am an addict.

I am not proud of that statement but yes I am a blogger. I need my daily fix as I am sure you will understand. I have come here today in order to try and get some help, support, understanding, and if I am honest some sympathy.

It can’t go on. I need to blog every day and once is never enough. I keep doing it and doing it. My life’s a mess, my work sporadic, my computer is my only companion and bloggers my only friends.

It all started so harmlessly. I chanced upon the blog world through an innocent google search at work. Damn google it’s just so efficient, it draws you into the murky underground of life, shows you the dirty underbelly of information transfer. It took just one hit. Then another and I could feel myself getting hooked.

First it was OK just a bit of light relief at work. You know how it is, you spend all day in front of a computer, eating biscuits and coffee, trying not to sneak looks at the office girls legs. You get bored ok BORED!! Then you discover the blog. Just one hit and I was hooked

Then maybe a bit later another and another, until you’re hooked. Whole days disappear. You move from one link to the next getting deeper and deeper into the blog world. And do they care these bloggers? No! They post little comments that sneak into your brain, they’re like paedophiles offering little children sweets. Come here they whisper…come to my site…..see what I’ve got for you. DAMN YOU ALL!

They sucked me in and now I’m hooked, yes I’m an addict. Now I’m even blogging myself. I fought it at first, tried posting once and sort of failed, but the urge was too great and now it’s got me completely in its power. I visit these sordid sites posting my own inane comments hoping people will visit me to feed my monkey.

My day usually starts with the hard stuff, we call it ‘Ian’ this hit can last up to 15/20 minutes if it’s a good blog, later I may need a little ‘Californian’ just as a pick up, but as I come down from that I try a little Zen to mellow out. A little later if I get too edgy I have a shot of Watski to add an odd perspective to my day. And after lunch a touch of Canadian stuff works wonders. Cat is a real upper. I do try downers but man they bum you out. Get real guys try some humour!

I need help. This is a plea – what are the twelve steps? I only know the first 3.

Step one - you find a girl to love
Step two - she falls in love with you
Step three - you kiss and hold her tightly

I need the next nine steps

Help me please I don’t know how long I can go on like this…….

5 comments:

SJ said...

I'm with you on this. No one told me I wouldn't be able to stop. I thought I could handle it...

I was wrong...

SJ said...

By the way - it's probably a bit controversal of you to compare bloggers to paedophiles, but I thought it was funny. Chris Morris would be proud...

Rob Burton said...

Controversial? Moi?

Watski said...

..and we're all going to hell.

Lead the way.

E in Oz said...

Ah yes...we leave a comment and you rejoice, then we leave more and more....and still you (we) crave more! How many comments are enough? Can you ever have enough readers? And what about those who read and don't comment? Why don't they comment? Are we not comment-worthy?

Yes, my name is Eve and I'm a blog addict. ;-)

btw, I kinda like Ben's blog. I like his thoughts and rantings...coz he's *not* humorous - I get my fix of humour on Ian's blog. ;-)