Friday, October 01, 2004

I Hate Americans

I Hate Americans.

Now I don’t really understand why I wrote that. It sort of just slipped out. I don’t really think that I do hate Americans. I mean how can I as the population is 294,410,526 as of today the 1st October? If I only hated each person for say 10 seconds each I would have to spend the next 9 YEARs hating Americans. But between you and me I have better things to do with my life (But like Watski I still haven’t come up with a definitive list!).

So I need to analyse my feelings just a little bit more. I mean I quite like the idea of America and thus should quite like the idea of Americans. Look the country was set up as a refuge against religious persecution in Europe and a way for many English people to escape our mad kings. So the idea of the great melting pot that welcomes the shivering masses to its shores strikes a chord with me. I like that. And going back to the 294,410,526 I quite like Americans as individual people. By that I mean all the Americans I have met (with the exception of the immigration officials at JFK) I have quite liked too. We even visited a family in Portland Maine once!

So why don’t I like Americans as a collective then? Well first off they are just obvious targets aren’t they. They are just so insular. What is that statistic about the number of passports per head of population? Blimey the Brits can’t wait to get out of this country – most of them buying houses in France, Spain and all points East and South and not getting on with their new neighbours if the TV is to be believed! Another example is, I sell stuff on ebay, and I am happy to post around the world, provided the buyer pays the shipping (as the Yanks call it). But so many of them buy my stuff and then balk at the cost of the postage, they seem to assume that the UK is a few miles off California or somewhere close where the postage will only cost a few dollars. Never mind that it has to be put on an aeroplane and flown there! Perhaps they still have a pony express I don’t know (although I do get a childish thrill when I get payments from Wells Fargo!)

Okay I am starting to warm to the subject now. For a country that was set up on the notions of freedom from persecution and so on, I really do not get their idea that they can be the world’s police. I mean, apart from sort of helping to end WW2, and this was only marginal as I know for a fact the Russian people seem to believe that it was their huge sacrifices that saw the end of that conflict, what else have they managed to do successfully? Korea? Nah! Grenada? Nah!, That place in Africa with the helicopters? Nah! Vietnam – ah Vietnam, not a loss but a ‘tactical withdrawal’. Tactical withdrawal my arse or ass for my American readers! They lost! It’s their bravado then? Perhaps it’s that that I dislike.

Or their contribution to world cuisine perhaps? The ubiquitous McD? KFC? And now why o why do we have to call Treats MnM’s . And this inevitably leads to big fat trailer trash women with HUGE bottoms and big Fat guys too. And now this cultural deficit is impacting on our women too!

Ok I’ll give them the film industry and some good actors, some marginally good TV programmes and yes I’ll give them some good, if not great Rock n Roll, Blues etc.

But what’s all this red neck stuff up in the Ozark Mountains or wherever, what’s all this white Aryan nation stuff? All this gun ownership, the paranoia that someone’s out to get them. So lets waste them first before they waste us. Baloney! (more bad food!)

And I’m not even going to mention their (mis)use of the English language. Like you know- whatever!

Hating Americans is sort of complicated, it’s not like hating the cat or the next door neighbours. It’s like a general sense of uneasiness that they are out there waiting to come and get us. Like a damp fog across Dartmoor in winter, if you get my drift. I don’t really have time to hate Americans, not all of them anyway. So maybe like most people George W will have to do, unless you readers can come up with any more likely candidates? Whatever!

6 comments:

Rob Burton said...

DJ don't worry I'm no language bigot really and if you continue to read my blogs you will find that I am barely literate too!

TIMMY! said...

good post. I'm actually very proud of you for giving your opinion as most europeans are to busy sippin on their tea yellowing their teeth even more than they are.

i also like how you blackmailed me to get my link posted I'll have to do the same thing.

I think I'm going to like coming here.

Rob Burton said...

DJ can't get into your blog, but if you read this this may amuse:
We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language.

Oscar Wilde, The Canterville Ghost, 1882

Peeved Michelle said...

We ARE coming to get you. That scratching you here at the window at night? That's me. BOO!

Suzy Snow said...

Very well written! Do you have any opinions on Canadians? Probably not, we're just second class Americans. One day soon, we will all be Americans. :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh, disgruntled Briton. Perhaps you will take solace in the fact that not all Americans are Big-Mac eating, gas-guzzling-SUV-driving, Hollywood-worshipping, Fox News-watching ignorant automatons.
What should worry you is that those who are not, are quite the minority...